Our staff is critical to our success and is made up of a dynamic group of professionals from the public safety, law enforcement and protective service field. They love what they do and have a passion for passing that knowledge along to students and clients. In addition to our in house staff, we have access to a network of adjunt staff to meet unique needs not encountered in every project.
The Owner and President of APC, Inc., has over 25 years of experience in the law enforcement and security communities.
During his career in law enforcement, Mr. Smith conducted numerous classes at the academy level. His attained rank of Lieutenant included numerous assignments within that agency. Additionally, Mr. Smith’s experience in the security industry includes the position of Regional Manage of Training and Staff Development of the New England area for one of the largest security firms in the world. Mr. Smith has also served in the position of Associate Director of Global Risk Management and Security Services for one of the largest financial institutions in the world.
Mr. Smith has achieved national recognition as an Instructor Trainer, Personal Protection Specialist, Certified Homeland Security Specialist and is a qualified subject matter expert in Federal Court.
Mr. Smith has had professional membership or affiliation with:
- American College of Forensic Evidence Investigators
- American Heart Association
- American Society of Industrial Security
- American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers
- American Society for Training and Development
- International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Assoc.
- International Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors
- National Assoc. Marine Investigators
- National Rifle Association
- Nine Lives Association
As Director of Training & Development at APC, Inc., David has worked in several areas of the public safety industry, including both contract & proprietary armed & unarmed security for corporate and retail companies. He has also worked as a sworn law enforcement officer for the state & federal government. Currently, he is employed in law enforcement full time as the Assistant Chief of Police for a large duty station based in Connecticut. David holds certifications in Security Management and VIP/Executive Protection from John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City. He is an experienced state of Connecticut Emergency Medical Technician.
Throughout the course of his career, he has received specialized training in: Tactical Operations, Bike Patrol, Explosive Devices, Haz-mat operations, Narcotics Investigation, Motor Vehicle Accident investigation, Law Enforcement Report Writing, Threat & Vulnerability Assessments, K9 Operations and many other aspects of security & law enforcement.
David is a certified as an instructor in the following topics:
- Law Enforcement Firearms (Handguns, Rifle & Shotguns)
- Management of Aggressive Behavior
- Defensive tactics, Ground fighting, Holds and Escapes
- Motor Vehicle Stops
- State of Connecticut Security Officer Training (PA 04-192)
- State of Connecticut Security Officer Firearms Training (Blue Card)
- State of Connecticut Bail Enforcement Agent Criminal Justice & Firearms Training
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support Instructor
- Bleeding Control.
- Use of Force
- Handcuffing Application
- O/C Spray.
- Workplace Violence
International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainer Association (ILEETA)
International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors (IALEFI)
Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association
Connecticut Chiefs of Police Association
As a strong proponent of professional & personal development, David regularly attends training courses and conferences throughout the country to stay current in his areas of instruction.